Saturday, January 26, 2013

Yo MoMA So Phat!

Went to the Museum of Modern Art, also known as MoMA, in midtown Manhattan. It features six full floors of paintings, sculptures, photographs and mixed media artworks of contemporary artists.

The first few floors were, in my opinion, a bit of a bore. Some of the pieces I think I could do myself, some I'm surprised made it in the museum, and some I wouldn't even call art. I'm not an artist but seriously, how much artistic talent do I need to doodle random shapes, let alone leave a canvas blank? Or maybe, I just didn't stare long enough to figure out the meaning behind the brush strokes, or the lack thereof. Haha.

The following installations I found quite interesting. "R.S.V.P.1" by Senga Nengudi, which is composed of suspended pantyhoses filled with sand and "Will the Russians Go to War" by Georg Herold, which is made of planks of wood with little notes stapled around them.

Couldn't wait to go back to my hotel and come up with my own installation! A bubblewrap-covered room, perhaps? Heheh.

The highlight of my visit was seeing the "Starry Night" by Vincent Van Gogh and "The Scream" by Edvard Munch face to face, or rather face to canvas. Hehe. There's always a crowd of tourists surrounding the famous paintings so it really took me a while to capture these unobstructed shots.

Next stop was the Rockefeller Center. As much as I wanted to put on a pair of skates and experience ice skating in the midst of New York's skyscrapers, it was freezing cold and Candice wasn't up for it either. Maybe next time? Wehe.

Stopped by the Lego Store and the NBC Experience Store where merchandise from the different NBC shows are on sale. While I didn't really purchase anything, I had fun window shopping. Haha. And Cands got me an SNL magnet! Weee!

Dinner was at Sapporo. I got a bowl of gyudon beef and shared a bowl of edamame with Cands. I only managed to finish half of my meal so we all know what's for dinner tomorrow. Hehe. Grabbed some sweet treats at the famous Magnolia Bakery. Everything on display looked so yummy and pretty. And HolyMotherOfSweetBabyJesus!  The cupcakes tasted as good as they looked!  Food orgasm at its best!!! Hmmm! =P~

No comments:

Post a Comment