Cands had to attend a birthday party so I just walked around the busy sidewalks of the city. Except for the tourists snapping photos of every block, every building everywhere, everyone else seems to be moving at top speed. I took my relaxed stroll to the sides lest I become roadkill! x_x
First stop was Wall Street, which is home to the New York Stock Exchange...
the Federal Hall...
the Trump Building and our office!
Even the less famous buildings are picture-worthy! With unique architecture and intricate details that give each one its own character. New York really is a concrete jungle. (Where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can't dooooo...)
I had to reschedule my 9/11 memorial visit to a later time because I forgot my confirmation number and was too tired to go to Vesey St. for the visitor pass. Too tired kaagad? Hahah. Went back to the hotel to print my pass instead. Rested for a while before heading to the memorial's entrance, which is just a tumbling away from where I stay.
There was a long queue but as soon as it started moving, it moved quickly. The memorial is composed of two massive waterfalls/pools that mark the spots where the twin towers once stood. The names of nearly 3000 victims are inscribed around them. It was breathtaking and heartbreaking at the same time especially when I saw this woman crying while touching one of the inscriptions. And that hit me. I was standing on the very ground where senseless violence took place that claimed the lives of thousands. I may be a tourist, a stranger to the scene, but the person standing right next to me could be someone who lost a loved one on that fateful day. Posing and smiling for a photo suddenly seemed inappropriate. But it was too late a realization.
Off to Times Square to catch Les Misérables with Cands. Shalaaa! Haha. Took my first NYC subway ride to 42nd Street! Unlike the MRTs in Manila where people just hop on and off the trains, there's so much happening in the subway trains and stations here. There are street performers who sing, dance, play unusual instruments or play usual instruments in an unusual way. There's just so much talent, I feel so talentless! Haha.
Got tickets for the 7:20pm showtime. We were basically rushing to get to the theater on time. I was in awe of the bright lights but cannot stop for photos! The movie ran for 2.5 hours and I stepped out with a heavy heart. It was deliciously sad and tragically beautiful. Someone shed a tear and that someone wasn't me! Heheh.
Standing in the middle of all these towering advertisements, the flashing lights, the yellow cabs, the vibrant mix of different people - it was just surreal. Like I was at the center of the universe. (Big lights will inspire you...) Am I hearing Alicia Keys again? Haha. Thanks Kandisu for taking on the role as my photographer! Willingly and graciously so! Heheh.
Now it's time to show off my favorite shots!
ikaw na talaga! hahaha
ReplyDeleteHahah. Ang adik mo! Cu soon! :)
Delete