Saturday, August 20, 2005

Reality Check

As a kid, I wanted to become a doctor. When asked why, I answer with "Because I want to cure the sick." *snicker* I know. It's very Little Miss Philippines.

When I entered highschool, I got glued to the boob tube watching Ally McBeal. And just like any other Ally McBeal fan, I wanted to become just like her - a lawyer.

During my sophomore year, I started writing. From prose to poetry, eulogies to character sketches. Mostly creative than technical. I received a couple of flattering remarks from people. So, I wanted to become a writer.

Come 4th year highschool, I was rushed to come to a decision. College entrance exams were getting us all hyped up. So I started to think. Really think.

Taking up Medicine would mean 5 long years of studying. Though I knew those years would pay off since my earnings would be grand, having someone's life in my hands was too much of a responsibility for me to handle.

So much for becoming a doctor.

Taking up Law, on the other hand, sounded suicidal to me. Though I would love to be Ally McBeal, I know I couldn't be her. Not even close. I mean, how on earth can I defend my client when I can't even win my own arguments?!

So much for becoming a lawyer.

Taking up Journalism was way off my parents' expectations. I think it was too mediocre for them. 'Twas like, "Hey, I can write!" "Yeah, so can everybody else." Or maybe because writing does not pay. I dunno. As a result, my love for words was consumed by my lack of confidence in my writing.

So much for becoming a writer.

I dunno how but I ended up taking Computer Science. I tried to understand how computers work and learn different computer languages. Since I'm also into computers, it wasn't too difficult for me. I got good grades but somewhere along the way, I felt like it's not what I wanna do for a living. But I didn't have the courage to take the U-turn. Hell, in less than 4 months, I'm done with this course. Who knows where I'll be then?

Mico: "Computer Scientist ka! Hindi ka writer!"

To hell with that! I am a writer! I write... programs.

1 comment: