Friday, February 04, 2005

The Room That Was

My mom always nags me to clean my room. I usually get away by telling her that I don't have the time coz I'm too busy with schoolwork. Which is well, partly true. Another reason is that I can't get my lazy ass to start cleaning. The mere sight of my figurines and stuffed toys collecting dust and the thought of washing them one by one are enough to make me weary. But now that I have all the time in the world, no excuse will be bought. So, armed with a walis-tambo, a couple of rags, and a pail of water, I carried out the task. A tedious one at that.

As I was taking down everything from the shelves, I can't help but start reading letters given by friends and classmates, and well, "special" persons. The oldest letter I read was like 8 years ago from my servicemate. There's this one letter that really, REALLY, caught my attention and stirred some emotions that have long been forgotten. I was in senior high then...

"... I have never been this foolish ever before. If you call writing senseless letters and making endless phonecalls foolish, then I guess I have become one, because of you. ... I'm afraid that you're going to tell me to leave you alone and I know in my heart that I don't have enough strength to do that. ... I have denied a thousand times that I don't love you but in reality, I really, really do. ... I cannot say what the future holds for us but I hope that you'll consider me in your plans and make me a part of your life."

I'm such a sucker for love letters. Mushy, I know. But words of love never fail to captivate me. Kumbaga kay Superman, this is my kryptonite. Ngak! >_<

Nweiz, my mom told me that I should get rid of things in my room like toys and old letters. I wanted to tell her that these are not toys but collectibles coz I don't play with them, like she would understand the difference, and that some were given by persons I'd rather not forget. I also wanted to tell her that there's no way that I'm going to throw away letters, be it a simple note or a noveletter coz each of them carry memories that I would love to cherish until I grow old. Yes, I'm sentimental that way. But instead of explaining these things to her, I just told her I don't want to.

Yay for me and my clean room! Well, almost-clean is actually more like it. The topmost shelf is still covered with dust. Blame my lazy ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment