Friday, March 09, 2012

Smash Project 2012

A coupla days ago, a bottle of alcohol was left open inside my bag. It got my phone, my iPod and my camera slightly wet. But at that moment, those were the least of my concerns. I immediately searched my bag for the Smash Project concert tickets, hoping I would find them wrapped in a waterproof bag or something. Yup, they were more precious than the gadgets. At least at that moment. Hehe.

Unfortunately, I found the tickets wet and wrinkled, with some of the details smudged. Called Ticketnet to ask if this would invalidate the tickets. They said that as long as the seat section and number are readable, then it's still valid. Whew! Buti na lang!

When we arrived at the Smart Araneta Coliseum, we went straight to the ticketing office to have our tickets signed. No, not by the artists but by the office manager for validation. The guard told us to walk to the Red Gate, look for Jun, and present him the paper. When we finally got hold of him, he asked us who signed it and we said we don't know. He told us to go back to the office and request for the printed name of the person who signed it. So we walked back to the office, got another signature, this time with the signee's name printed as well. Since the lines were getting longer by the minute, we decided to just fall in line instead of verifying the signatures with Jun. Ayun, nakalusot naman. Hehe.



First front act was Typecast. I only know one of their songs and it wasn't part of their setlist. Funny coz I didn't even know that it was them on stage until the lead introduced the band.

Franz: "Sino yan?"
Me: "Ewan ko, One Buck Short daw sabi sa screen. Hindi ko kilala."
Steve: "Kami po ang bandang Typecast!"
Me: "Ayy! Typecast na pala yan! Haha."


TYPECAST SETLIST:
* The Boston Drama
* Reverend's Daughter



Five years ago, I saw Urbandub perform live for the first time. Back then, I only knew songs from their "Influence" album. So when they sang newer songs, I would simply nod my head to the beat. Hehe. Now I could sing along to a handful of their songs from their "Birth" album to "The Apparition". But they only got to play two songs! Sobrang bitin!

URBANDUB SETLIST:
* First Of Summer
* Soul Searching



Chicosci did a much more screamo version of "Paris". So much angst! Haha. Lock and load, rock and roll!

CHICOSCI SETLIST:
* Paris
* Diamond Shotgun (Lock And Load)


Next up was a band from Malaysia called One Buck Short composed of Edgar Mortiz on vocals, Chito Miranda on bass, Shia LaBeouf on guitars and Mark Herras on drums. Ha? Hindi ba sila yun?! Weheh. They performed a couple of their original songs and a fun cover of Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night".

ONE BUCK SHORT SETLIST:
* Last Friday Night (Cover)



I used to love Slapshock. Owned their "4th Degree Burn", "Headtrip" and "Project 11-41" albums. Fine, I used to have a huge crush on Jamir Garcia and Chi Evora too. Haha. When they appeared on stage, my initial reaction was: "Buhay pa pala Slapshock?!" Hehe.

SLAPSHOCK SETLIST:
* CariƱo Brutal
* Ngayon Na
* Stranded


Finally, 'twas time for the bands that we all came here for! *_*


The Cab was first to take the stage. I can't even begin to express how much I love their latest album called "Symphony Soldier". I've been promoting it to my friends, been listening to it on loop for months, and been watching their music videos and live performances online over and over. Again, to those who've never heard of this great great band, give them a listen! Listen to "Intoxicated", "La La", "Angel With A Shotgun", "Bad", "Endlessly"... Seriously, click those links! Hell, listen to the entire album and I'm gonna bet my bottom peso that you'll enjoy their music! :)

The group of girls behind us would scream at the top of their lungs everytime Alex Marshall appears on screen. Ampogi eh! Haha. I think I could still hear their voices ringing in my ears. As in! At one point, the band's frontman Alexander DeLeon said they love Manila so much that they would just cancel their other shows and play here every night. Talaga lang ha?! Hehe.

THE CAB SETLIST:
* Angel With A Shotgun
* Temporary Bliss
* Take My Hand
* Vegas Skies
* Bad
* I'll Run
* La La
* Living Louder
* Bounce



Cobra Starship brought the house down with their beats and synths. During their entire set, my eyes never left Gabe Saporta! Hihi. I really enjoyed watching him perform. He moves around the stage a lot, plays with the mic and the mic stand, jumps around, dances around, then jumps around some more! He was super hyper that he accidentally ripped his pants open! Haha. When he realized this, he kept on saying that he doesn't give a fuck. I thought it would be a good segue for their newest single "Middle Finger". But I guess, the band wanted a wholesome setlist. Haha. Yeah right. Like flirting with Vicky-T, grabbing the hole in his pants, tearing it apart and exposing his bright undies were wholesome. Haha.

COBRA STARSHIP SETLIST:
* The City Is At War
* Nice Guys Finish Last
* Hot Mess
* Guilty Pleasure
* Kiss My Sass
* My Moves Are White (White Hot, That Is)
* #1Nite (One Night)
* Smile For The Paparazzi
* Good Girls Go Bad
* You Make Me Feel...



Next up was Dashboard Confessional, or should I say, Chris Carrabba, since his bandmates were not around. He requested everyone to help him out with the songs, that we will be his bandmates for the night, and we all obliged with all our hearts. And lungs. Hehe. 'Twas epic! As much as I hate to use that word, I feel like there's no better word to describe his entire acoustic set! EPIC. Hehe. Grabe talaga. Especially during "Stolen"! I still get goosebumps even after watching the video a number of times! Chris Carrabba has stolen our hearts, indeed! *_*

DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL SETLIST:
* Don't Wait
* As Lovers Go
* The Good Fight
* Get Me Right
* Screaming Infidelities
* Again I Go Unnoticed
* Saints And Sailors
* The Best Deceptions
* Belle Of The Boulevard
* Vindicated
* Stolen
* Hands Down



Finally, 'twas time to release the Cracken! Hehe. Ran out of memory space in the middle of "The Taste Of Ink". Much to my dismay, the next songs that they performed were my favorites! Waah! Nweiz, we didn't finish their set since 'twas getting pretty late already. Heard that they shared the stage with Chris Carrabba for "A Box Full Of Sharp Objects"! Astig.

THE USED SETLIST:
* Take It Away
* The Bird And The Worm
* Listening
* I Caught Fire
* I Come Alive
* The Taste Of Ink
* All That I've Got
* Blue And Yellow
* Paralyzed
* The Best Of Me
* Pretty Handsome Awkward
* A Box Full Of Sharp Objects


Nine bands, one stage, one night of pure rockdom! Thanks and more power to Dayly Entertainment for organizing this concert! Will be looking forward for a Smash Project 2013! Hihi. Rakun! \m/

2 comments:

  1. oo nga buhay pa pala slapshock? crush ko din si jamir nung college.... hihihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uu, nabuhay na magmuli! Pero mukhang hindi na crushable c Jamir.. Si Chi mukhang pweydi pa.. Haha. ;))

      Delete