Our organization volunteered to help construct houses in one of the communities being established by Habitat for Humanity in Las Piñas City. I woke up at around 4:30 in the morning. I'm one scaredy cat so I opened the TV but the first thing that I saw on the screen was a white lady!!! Yikes!!! I immediately turned the TV off and ran back to bed! It awakened every sleepy bone in my body! Now THAT is a whole lot better than coffee.
Nweiz, Roxie and I reached our meeting place 5 minutes late. Not bad, eh? I think we left school 45 minutes later. Filipino time nga naman. Oh well. Almost half of the applicants attended. Our adviser, Ma'am Nenita, was also with us. She slept most of the time, though. Ehe. But that's just fine. At least, she was there! Unlike Sir Jayson who's just a bunch of brawns and... more brawns.
After Engineer-whose-name-I've-forgotten oriented us with what we had to do, 'twas up to us to divide the work among ourselves. Our players removed the wood from the first few houses and transfered it to the next, the guys shoveled gravel and sand, while the girls strained the sand used for the bricks. The toughest that we did was when we carried hollow blocks and buckets of cement. Now my arms and upper back hurt like hell. I feel like a ninety-year-old. Heck. I'm all exhausted but I definitely enjoyed it. ^_^
No comments:
Post a Comment