Sunday, November 03, 2013

Where Lamp Posts Grow Like Trees

Remember this scene from "No Strings Attached" where Adam confessed his feelings for Emma? Then Emma freaked out, pushed him, threw fists at him...

Adam: "You can't fight me, you're miniature. You're like a girl Rick Moranis."

Yea, that's how much I loved the film. Hehe. I seldom remember lines, but this one sorta stayed with me. I just couldn't shake the image of a girl Rick Moranis. Haha. I also remember thinking how lovely and photogenic the setting was.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I was browsing through a magazine of must-see places in Los Angeles, and—voilĂ !—I saw this section featuring a forest of lamp posts! I really wanted to see it in real life and today, I finally did!

Urban Light is an assemblage of 202 vintage cast-iron street lamps by Chris Burden installed in front of the LA County Museum of Art (LACMA). Aside from the movie, this has also been used as a backdrop for the Glee guys' Vanity Fair photo shoot. (Alright, that's the Gleek in me talking) Haha. Seeing the installation up close and personal was just amazing. And though we didn't stay long enough to see the lights turned on, I'm sure it would look much much more dramatic at night! *_*

Admission fee is at $15. Luckily, LACMA has some sort of partnership with Bank of America and sponsors the first full weekend of every month. I just had to present my debit card at the ticketing booth and I got in for free!

The museum is composed of eight buildings, each housing a different art form or era. We first checked out the Pavilion for Japanese Art. The building itself was an architectural beauty. The walls were made of a translucent material that resembles traditional Japanese rice paper, allowing soft natural light to enter the room. A spiral ramp led us up the different levels of the gallery where hanging scrolls, poetic paintings, ceramics, traditional clothing and armor were on display. But what I enjoyed most were the tiny Japanese sculptures called Netsuke. And when I say tiny, I mean teeny teeny tiny! Each piece measures about an inch, but the details were exceptionally intricate! I took a few photos of my favorites, which is merely 1% of the entire collection!

Next stop was the Hammer building where we saw the art of the ancient world. I especially enjoyed the Egyptian portion of the gallery with its collection of ancient relics and coffins, one of which containing a real mummy!

Adjacent to it was the Ahmanson building, which houses an incredible array of European, Islamic and Southeast Asian artworks. One of the security officers watching the gallery is Filipino. I think he got a little too excited speaking with a kababayan. He went on telling stories about his life, his family and his experiences in the US. He was on a roll and I couldn't get a chance to cut him off nicely. Thanks to Derick, who saw my dilemma, and told a little white lie to pull me out of the conversation. Hehe.

There were a couple of special exhibits that require a separate entrance fee. There's still so much to see but time wasn't on our side. And I even forgot about the Levitated Mass installation! We have to come back!!!

Now this is the section where my very own gallery begins... Hehe.





No comments:

Post a Comment