Thought I won't be able to make it on time for the meetup. There was a religious procession cutting through the main streets of Marikina. Roads were closed to make way for the brightly lit floats and devout worshippers, which naturally caused a lot of traffic. I was supposed to meet Franz at Metroeast for dinner but the mall was already closed when I arrived. Just had a quick dinner at Tropical instead before heading to Vista Verde to wait for Chris. When Chris, Pril and Joji arrived, we loaded our things into his CRV. Then off we went to El Pueblo where Borj and Jozzel were waiting for us.
Prepared ourselves for the very long road trip ahead of us. Actually, 'tis the longest road trip I've been on to date. And I dunno if I was really able to catch some sleep or I was just making myself believe that I did. Haha.
03.20.08
When we arrived at Bicol, we first met up with Boss Marvs. They prepared a hearty breakfast of tuyo, omelette, and fried rice for us to gorge on. Yum! Yum! We were so hungry, we barely talked to one another. Haha.
After breakfast, we rested for a while. The boys bought some gallons of distilled water. When they got back, we sorted out the things that we'll be bringing at the island. Also, we started applying sunblock on our arms, legs and faces. Except for Borj who opted not to put some coz he hates the sticky feeling. Nyaha. Well, the same is true for me. But I'd rather feel sticky than have a hellacious sunburn - or worse, skin cancer. Yikes.
Boss Marvs called for a couple of tricycles that would take us to the dock. According to the owner of the boat, hers could carry up to 30 persons. Thought that it would be really spacious for the 7 of us. But when the boat arrived, we all couldn't imagine how it could sit 30 persons. Nyaha.
Joji: "Kasya naman. Mga trentang bata."
Korek! Hehe. I was wrong for expecting something similar to the boats that ply the Batangas-Mindoro route. Coz unlike Puerto Galera, we were not going to a popular tourist destination. We rode a typical fisherman's boat - narrow-bodied and roofless with a few planks of wood that served as seats. Jozzel and I sat on the cooler and I just huddled under his blanket to shield myself from the scorching sun.
After a two-hour boat ride, we finally reached Bicol's hidden paradise. The water is crystal clear with beautiful shades of aquamarine. The long stretch of white sand is powder soft. The beach is very pristine. And the best part is, we had it on our own! Hehe. I couldn't say that it could give Boracay a run for its money coz I haven't been there yet. But April could! So I quote...
April: "Daig pa ang Boracay!!!"
Take it from her! Hehe. I really don't think that my words could do justice to this beautiful, beautiful island so I'd just post some pictures and let you be the judge.
The sun was furiously beating down on us. There were no trees to shadow us from its powerful rays. Good thing we could rely on Joji and April to put up a tempo shelter. While they were busy doing their thing, Borj, Jozzel and I, jumped into the waters and talked about our "forecasts" that ought to stay between the three of us. Hmm... Let's just wait and see. Only time will prove who's right and who's wrong. Hehehe. ;)
Since we're not in a commercialized beach resort, there were no activities and no facilities that could keep us entertained. So we just kept ourselves busy playing an awful lot of frisbee! Wee!
At first I thought that playing it would be no kick. Didn't know that it could also be quite a challenge - controlling the speed and angle of the throw, running after the disc, making the catch, and all that. If we weren't playing, eating, sleeping, or swimming, we're busy taking pictures of ourselves while worshipping the sun, the sea, and the sand. Yep, we're one idolatrous bunch! Hehehe.
When night fell, we all sat under the glittering serenity of the moonlight with a glass of Artic Melon in hand. I really didn't enjoy the drink coz we drank it with no ice. It was a bit too strong for my taste. So just after a couple of shots, I drifted off to the hills of Tralala. ZzzZzZ...
03.21.08
The next morning, Ms. Bangker arrived to fetch us. According to her, the waves were too big for us to proceed safely. We had to walk to the other side of the island where the waves were much calmer.
While walking, she kept on bugging Joji to just dump our trash anywhere in the island. She even found it hilarious that we'll be bringing the trash bag with us instead of just leaving it behind. Wadapak?! It was very saddening and downright annoying to witness that kind of attitude especially from a local, from someone who primarily should be taking good care of the island, from someone who should be protecting it from rowdy tourists who just don't give a hoot! LNT principle, people! Haaay. Tsktsk.
The waves came crashing against our tiny boat. At first, we were laughing and shouting coz it just felt like a wild ride at Rio Grande. But when the potential danger of the situation sank in, I found myself holding on to the sides of the boat for dear life! We were up against Mother Nature herself and we all knew that it wasn't a fair fight. The rain poured down and soaked us through, as if to prove how helpless we were against her forces. Or perhaps she just knew that we haven't taken a shower yet and we were badly in need of one. Haha.
When we arrived at Boss Marvs' place, we ate our cups of Yakisoba for breakfast. After resting for a while, we hit the road going to Naga. On the way, we saw a lot of people whose faces were covered with vines and weeds doing self-flagellation. When it comes to the Catholic faith, this is one of the many things that I don't understand. I mean, why would someone whip himself or nail himself to a cross and call it devotion to God? Does He want our suffering for atonement? I think not.
Nweiz, we had a shrimp feast for lunch at Chris' place. Yummy! Funny how Roxie examined our plates to see who ate the most number of shrimps. And guess who did? She did! Wehehe.
After eating, we were finally able to take a bath. Finally! Hehe. Since it was our rest day, we just relaxed and watched a couple of movies. 27 Dresses was predictable but pretty good. Most romantic films are, anyway. Hehe. It reminded me of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, only with the roles changed. Step Up 2 was pretty good also, especially if you're into street dancing and dance showdowns. Apple Bottom jeans, boots with the furrrrr! Hehe.
Before hitting the sack, Roxie and I made a ref cake. Sadly though, we did it all wrong. The mixture of all-purpose cream and condensed milk was too watery that it just settled at the bottom of the container and made the graham crackers float. But we did a nice presentation, see? We even topped it with mallows and Knick Knacks! Haha. *toink*
03.22.08
Our itinerary for this day was to try wakeboarding at Camsur Watersports Complex. But when we got there, a lot of people were already lined up. They just asked us to sign the waiver and go back after lunch for our slot.
Waited for Boss AP to arrive. But since he had to go somewhere else and won't be able to join us, we just asked him to buy us some ice cream! Hehe. Thanks, Boss AP! ^_^
We first went to the Cagsawa Ruins in Albay. The belfry is the only part of the church that is left standing. A mute testimony of Mayon volcano's destructive fury. Climbed the belfry just for the heck of it. Hehe. It just irked us to discover a lot of vandalism inside the ruins. Some people really have nothing better to do! Argh.
Mayon volcano hid behind her veil of clouds that day. We weren't able to catch a full view of its majestic beauty. But a glimpse of her perfect cone was enough to leave me struck with awe. Ang galing talaga ni God! ^_^
Native bags were being sold outside the ruins. My mom requested me to buy one for her. I saw this bag for 400 pesos. It was a bit expensive compared to the other bags but it was the only one left of its kind so I bought it anyway. Yay! Another bag I could borrow from my mom! Hehe.
We then went to Ateneo de Naga University - Chris' alma mater. We went around the campus pretending to be Ateneans, coming up with nostalgic stories that never really took place. Hehe. But really, I suddenly missed St. Scho. As in. I'm sure it would be really nice to walk around the canteen, the chapel, the quadrangle, the new gym, the old gym, gate 3, gate 7... Haha.
We also visited one of the churches in Bicol, the Basilica Minore of Our Lady of Peñafrancia. I forgot to make a wish and enter the church left foot first. Huhu.
We then decided to head back to CWC. It took us quite a while to begin. We waited for other people to return the life vests and helmets into the rack. When we all got our gears, the control person announced that they would have their dinner break and resume operation at 7:30.
First, we were taught how to kneeboard. Kuya told us to keep our bodies bent forward and keep the handle near our bodies. We asked him when we could level-up to the wakeboard. According to him, we have to complete 3-4 laps of kneeboard in order to do so. Ok, let's get it on! Hehe.
I was a bit nervous and excited while I stood in line. I was having mental images of myself unable to complete the lap, trying to swim to the side, struggling to stay afloat, when another kneeboarder hits me right smack in the face! Thank God none of that happened. Nyahaha. I was able to finish the course on my first try, which was quite a feat for a beginner like me. Ahihihi.
Though it made my shoulders ache, it was really a fun experience! In an hour, we were only able to do 3 laps. Sadly, we weren't able to try the wakeboard and the water ski. We're definitely going back! Right, Roxie? Hehe.
We went back to Chris' place to freshen up. Then we drove around Bicol for the last time. The boys wanted to experience some night life so they went to a bar while Roxie, Pril, Joji, and I stayed at Kopi Roti. The coffee bun was the best! Hehe. After a couple of hours, we went back to his house, rested our tired bodies, and slept heavenly.
03.23.08
Prepared ourselves and our things for our trip back to Manila. We had a lovely breakfast of spaghetti and dried pusit. Yum! Lots of thanks to Boss Chris and his family for feeding us to the brim! Hehe.
We first went to church to catch the morning mass. Then we dropped by some stalls to buy pasalubongs. I bought cashew tarts, pili tarts, bars of mazapan pili, pili bars, and pili cakes! Waah! Pili nuts overload! Hehe.
To everyone who made this road trip possible and enjoyable... (Naks! May ganun?!) ... DIOS MABALOS!!! ^_^
Dios maray na aga... ^_^
ReplyDeleteAnong petsa na ngayon lang ako nag-comment... hehehe...
Saya ng outing nyo... Sana nakasama ako... Pag pumunta ulit kayo dun, sama ako... Gusto ko ma-try ung wakeboarding... hehe... ^_^
-@ntonymous
Anong meaning ng Dios maray na aga??
ReplyDeleteAng meaning nun ay... Good Morning!
ReplyDelete^_^
Hnd ko din alam ung iba png bicol words... Basic lng... hehehe... :D
-@ntonymous
Ahh.. Yun pala meaning non, good morning..
ReplyDeleteHehe. Mukha nga konti lng alam mo na Bicol words..
Kht past 12 na, dios maray na aga pa rin.. ;P
Hahaha... =)) Good observation... ^_^
ReplyDeleteUmaga plng nmn sau ang past 12 ah.. :p
Hnd ko alam kng ano ung "Magandang Tanghali" sa Bicol... hehehe...
Wla atang equivalent na bicol word ung tanghali... hnd ko lng din sure... hehehe...
-@ntonymous