HUPAW! Hu-hupaw! Hu-hupaw!
I was a sophomore in high school when I first tuned in to NU 107. It is the station that trained my ears to Mudvayne, Slipknot, and The Used. And of course, to the local "hupaw" bands like Greyhoundz, Queso and Chicosci. I admit singing along to Slapshock's "Agent Orange", knowing every word by heart. Fine, I also admit crushing over Jamir Garcia. Rawr voice, orange messy hair, bilibid-boy-tattoos and all. Haha.
Before Chico and Delamar, I used to spend my mornings with Zach and Joey. I fight off sleep for the Midnight Countdown. I remember sending in my song request during Remote Control Weekend. I always ask for this one song: A Cold and Better Place by The Pin-Up Girls. Lucky for me, they always play it! And I get kilig every time. Hehe. :)
I wore no dark eyeliners, no spiky metal bracelets, no extra piercings. Nor was I brimming with teenage angst. I just wanted to be different. And NU 107 was my portal away from the mainstream. I was so into the heavy riffs and loud guitars and aggressive rhythms. Some people found it too loud. For some it's just horrible, horrible noise. Hell, my mom even called it evil! But that's just the way I wanted my music. Loud and strong. And different.
In less than an hour, the Home of New Rock will be leaving the Philippine airwaves. I'm now watching a live stream of what's happening inside the booth. Rock-jocks taking turns in saying their goodbyes before playing a song that they deem appropriate. A crowd of supporters gathered outside the booth to witness the end of an era. Feels like a part of my life is about to be taken away. T_T
As Francis Brew said in his piece, "This is the Home of NU Rock, because it has been home for us." To everyone who worked behind the station, thank you. The music will live on.
"Take me out tonight
Where there's music and there's people
And they're young and alive."
--- There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, The Smiths
this is sooo you kringle ehehe sobrang nice kasi you're different in a good way :) parati kasi kitang naririnig kumakanta ng alternative 'non and the famous hupaw! huhupaw! line Ü
ReplyDeleteHahaha. Salamat naman at in a good way ang pagka-different ko.. Hindi abnoy. Hehe. Honga, naalala ko din ung HUPAW HUPAW ko dati. :))
ReplyDeleteMemorize na memorize ang mga lyrics \m/
ReplyDeleteButi naman at hindi ka naging emo... hehehe:p
Dito ata sa blog lumalabas pagka-emo ko.. Nyahaha.
ReplyDelete